Monday 27 September 2010

The Business of Music

I had a lovely day today as I concentrated mainly on music -  rather than the business of music.

Had a great session with my pianist George where we worked on the arrangements of some new songs and they're sounding great!  Really looking forward to performing them at our first outing of the new Diva project in October at the Pizza Express Jazz Club in Soho.

But although it's not something I really enjoy,  I also need to keep on top of the business side of things.  Someone who has helped a lot of musicians with this is Derek Sivers, the founder of CDBaby.  (If you've not heard of them, check them out.  Apart from anything else they are a great way to get your albums up on iTunes and they only take a 9% cut.)  Here's a link to an interesting article with his 7 Rules of Marketing.  Numbers 5 & 7 especially strike a chord with me. 

http://arielpublicity.com/2008/12/04/derek-sivers-7-critical-marketing-basics-musicians/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I really appreciate the feedback. :-)